Wednesday, April 21, 2010

"Master" and "Guest" in Malaysia

"You do not come to our place and question our rights. These "special" rights are reserved for us. You are foreigner. We already tolerate enough to let you stay and have a life here."

From the statement above, this is what I believe the opinion behind the nation of this country before the independence. Indeed it is true that, as a "guest" there is no right to interrogate the rights of the "master". The "master" is already more than considerate to allow the "guest" to be with them. The "guest" should be thankful enough for the fact that the "master" allows sharing certain of his belongings. Yet the "master" reserves the right on certain things and "guest" is not allow to question because it is the prerogative of "master". I get the whole idea behind this and it does make sense.

I found out very funny, after 52 years of independence, there are still some individuals who came and warn me about the metaphor of the "master and guest". The metaphor of this of coz still make sense but I believe the context behind the "master" and "guest" are already changed. Are the "guest" still the guest?

Let me put it in this way. When the first time you brought a girl or a guy back to your family, this person will be considered as guest. But after a relationship is built and you marry this person, will this person still be considered as the guest of your family? Most importantly, do the children from the marriage of you and this person will also be considered as a guest to your family?

Though the Chinese and Indians are not origin from this place according to the nation history, but things are different now. The children or the next generation of these two races are born and raised up here in this nation. So why these children are still be labeled as the "foreigner" in country they were born? These children obviously are not belong to the India or China. I personally felt so ridiculed by the fact that I am still labeled as the "foreigner" in my own country. I was born and raised in this country. Never single step of mine is out of this country. I can speak, write and read in Bahasa Malaysia better than most of the people today and even better than my own mother tongue. Yet I am still be denied by many of the rights in my own country.

In my opinion, if the government want to make 1Malaysia a reality, they should start to treat everyone as the same. Indeed we all are the same because culturally we are born and raised in the same environment. The problem is not the people dis-united but is the government that dis-unite the people by treating them differently.

0 comments: